Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router model # question

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi.
I have a home/desktop PC, and a laptop I want to connect both to each other and also to the internet.

I have cable internet, with an RCA dcm425 modem. The desktop is connected to that with a cat5 wire.

I also have a D-Link DWL-650 wireless cardbus adaptor, which I want to put in the laptop to connect with.

Does anyone know *exact* brand and model number(s) of the right wireless router(s) to use?

I have gotten/been sold the wrong thing twice now due to bad advice/recommendations at the office store and elsewhere on the web.

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IN GENERAL...any wireless router should work...i tend to trust netgear because they're made by cisco...i have heard of issues with DLINK not playing well with others...and they also make decent routers. You might try to get a DLINK wireless capable router just to avoid any branding conflicts...other than that it's pretty much down to price these days...it's virtually all the same technology..

what were the issues with your previoius routers?

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The first thing they sold me was not even a router. ()I had a bad model number or something so they fixed me up with the closest thing or something. ) I have no idea. I think it was an access point or something. Took it back, got charged a restocking fee.

Then they recommended a router, I got it home and it is a wired router.

I want wireless.

What I need is an exact model number. Tired of screwing/being jerked around and wasting time/money