Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp c7180 windows xp problem

• Please log in to reply

czuba

czuba

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: i am so frustrated. recently purchase an hp photosmart c7180. installed fine onto windows xp home edition and system requirements were met. the computer recognizes it and has it set to the default printer and does print. i can make copies as well. but when i go to scan a photo or document the printer scans but no image appears on the screen using the hp program or the windows scanner camera wizard. shortly after the printer finishes i get a microsoft error that the scanning program encountered an error and needs to close...send error report

i called hp and after spending hours on the phone with them their solution ended up being "this is a microsoft problem...call them". so i dont want to pay for them to tell me its not their problem either so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas. i tried disabling norton while scanning thinking it might be a firewall issue but to no avail. i also searched for my windows firewall but i couldnt find it in my network places (whole other issue).

i really like this printer and dont want to return it...please help me before i pull out my hair, thanks
catherine

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Sounds like you got a "frustrated" hp tech support person who chose to point the finger at M$ instead of trying to work through this with you. There is some help available on their web page. Go to http://h10025.www1.h...t...ng=en&cc=us
and take a look. Start with the "solve a problem" section. There is lots of info, driver downloads etc.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, post any items in your reply that have a yellow ? or ! next to them.
also what is the error report that you are getting.

cheers...xxx1

czuba

czuba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
sorry for the delay in response, i have tried every solution that hp offers on their website on my own and with the HP tech on the phone and still have the problem.

-when i pull up my device manager there are no errors. when i run the software and try to scan i get no error on the printer it just says that "scan sent successfully...see screen for image". the software however does nothing but stay on the "preparing to scan" message and nothing comes up.

-if i try to scan a second time i get an error message pop up that says " An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again.". i check, it is, yet still same error until i restart the comp.

-after a few minutes of running the program i get another error saying that "hpqscnvw has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and then im back at square one.

any thoughts?
catherine