Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Tweak Guide Advice ?

• Please log in to reply

Ldee

Ldee

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi

I know it's a bit much to ask, but if anyone's particularly interested in this type of thing, could someone have a look at and tell me what they think of this tweak guide:

http://forum.joomla....ic=47633.0;wap2

I know there are sooo many out there, but this one seemed to have a few that arn't so common and it's pretty short. Also, they are purported to be "major" tweaks.

Thanks!

PS: if anyone does know where I can find THE definitive xp tweak guide (a bit like the holy grail to me, does it exist?) please let me know.. cheers.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ldee...

Have you checked out Kelly's Korner or Doug Knox? Or maybe Our Tweaks.

If there is a definitive guide available online, I haven't seen it.

wannabe1

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Suggest before tweaking read: http://mywebpages.co...CD/XPMyths.html

Many "tweaks" out there do not provide substantial improvement for ordinary users. Much more important to limit unnecessary background processes, keep the system cleaned and malware free. Knowledgeable people like the authors of the sites posted above, and others like Marc Liron and Mark Russinovich, and the MSVP advisors and consultants to this and other forums all have been using XP for years. If it can be done, they've done it. If it were good for us to do they would suggest it. After "tweaking" myself into trouble more than once or twice I now limit myself to making those changes that help me perform my desired tasks more efficiently. IMHO if a "tweak" requires me to make manual changes to my Registry it's not worth it. All I have to do is read some of the posts in this and other forums about BSOD and "Can't Reinstall" to keep me sober. Say what you will about Microsoft, but XP is not a Ferrari with a governor that can be removed to gain amazing performance. XP is what it was designed to be- a full featured automatic Oldsmobile with large trunk, reliable drive train, and custom entertainment package suitable for both home and business use.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
XP is not Win9X, and it doesn't like its page file moved, size modified or any other "tweaks" applied to it. For better performance, consider adding more memory. XP likes memory, and 256Mb is the bare minimum. If you want to take advantage of some of XP's features and speed, invest in the max memory your mobo supports, and leave the page file alone. Wannabe1's links above are the best source of additional information if you must tweak.
Johanna