Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Build *Comments Please*

• Please log in to reply

TheBrotherhood313

TheBrotherhood313

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I am building a new PC for myself because the one I am using now just doesnt cut it for my video game needs. I have list of the parts I am thinking about getting. If anyone notices anything that could be upgraded for about or a little over the price I already have, please tell me. Also, if you notice that any of the parts dont work together, please tell me :whistling:

Processor - $222 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

RAM - $100.99 - G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR SDRAM

CD/DVD Drive - $29.99 - LG Black DVD/CD burner

Case - $39.99 - XION Solaris Black ATX Mid Tower

PSU - $57.99 - Rosewill ATX v2.2 500W

Motherboard - $126.99 - ASUS ATX Intel motherboard

Hard Drive - $74.99 - Seagate Barracuda 250GB

Graphics Card - $219.99 - Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 256MB

Total - $872.93

I may be able to spend a little more than that, nothing over $1,000 though.

Advertisements

mcsmc

mcsmc

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
A few comments, if you will.

First off, I'm not sure about ASUS for mb's... you might want to go with MSI or something. Maybe ASUS improved. I don't know for sure.

Secondly, check out the optical drive in my thread... it has Lightscribe for a few bucks more (create labels on the disk without a printer or marker using the drive itself). It may burn slightly slower... I didn't check your drive's specs because my internet's acting a bit slow right now. Just a thought.

Also, MAKE SURE you check out the reviews on the case. A lot of cases in that price age on Newegg are crap. I had to do some looking to find a decent case, you're welcome to note what case I chose in my thread as well.

Cheers and best of luck.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Youve skimped a bit on the PSU which you dont want to do and have spent too much on gfx, you can get the best card in the world but it will suck if the rest of the system isnt up to it, its also coming up to dx10 release time the ATI cards will be out soon and you would most likely be better getting one of the r600s than investing so much in old hardware.

Asus mobos i don't like they put out to many bad k8 boards so they have a while to go before i can reccomend them again, wouldnt bother with lightscribe more of a gimmick than anything by the time you take it out flip ot over and burn the label you could have just written what was on the disc with a pen. And the discs themselves cost more.

Ild recommend looking at Antec for your PSU and case. You might be cheaper with an AMD system with an AM2 CPU and board you might save yourself a bit of cash which you would be better spending on an extra gig of memory and a better case/psu.

TheBrotherhood313

TheBrotherhood313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Im not amazing with knowledge of computer parts so if you had some good brands to give me that would help out a lot.
I know about AMD, I was actually going to get an AMD processor before the Core 2 Duo came out. It was leading the scene for quite a while.
Anyway, I really dont know much at all about PSUs so I just picked one that was compatible.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You want to get a PSU from a good brand quality is VERY important and you should also avoid case/PSU combos unless the brand also makes good PSUs like antec who offer combos with there cases and PSUs that work out very cheap.

The AMDs arent as powerful as the core2s but they are cheaper and the motherboards are cheaper too, the AM2 motherboards are also supposed to be compatible with the next socket type from AMD so upgrade wise they are pretty good. Up to you the AMDs are still decent and games are more GPU dependant so your choice of gfx card will have a greater impact than your choice of CPU, but i would definitely wait for a dx10 card.

TheBrotherhood313

TheBrotherhood313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Yeah I got some advice before I made my build, I knew not to pick a case/psu combo since most of the time the psu is crap.
When is this dx10 card coming out? I wont have the money for my computer for at least a few weeks. I just want to get everything all setup so im ready to go.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The high end nvidias are out, ATI is out soon the first pre release reviews are doing the rounds. A couple of weeks so by the time you have the money they should be out.