Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LNK Files

• Please log in to reply

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
The laptop has whatever XP came with it... I'm not sure how to check. It's my daughter's laptop and I don't even think she has the paperwork that came with it.

Advertisements

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
For a couple of weeks.... my daughter tried and it didn't do anything. Don't know if she did it right. I've never had to to a system restore before... but willing to try it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the Run box again, type cmd and click "Ok". A command session will open.

At the prompt in the command window, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press "Enter". A System Restore window should open...does it?

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
still getting the Window cannot open this file msg.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's throw another reg file at it...

Do the same with this file as you did with the last one I had you download.

Attached File  exefix.zip   607bytes   179 downloads

Let me know if this makes any difference.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
exefix had the same result as the last ... no file association....creat a file assoc..... message

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Under the "General" tab, it should say whether you have XP Home or XP Pro installed. Which version is installed on the laptop?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you extracting the reg file from the zip files I'm attaching? They must be extracted to execute (Merge) them.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I extract the file to the desktop .... double click on the extracted file..... right click and select merge.....I then get the Open File security warning thing with the run or cancel option.... I select run and then I get the..... This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Also when I tried to find out which XP....I right click on my computer and click on properties .... nothing happens

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It just doesn't want to play nice, does it?

Let's boot to the cd and see what we can come up with. We'll go one screen at a time so we can stop if things don't seem right to me.

Boot to the cd and when you get to the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to load Recovery Console. Let me know what you see on the next screen. It should list the operating system.

Advertisements

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
One other thing I just discovered...... if I can find the program that I'm trying to open in the computer somewhere... I can get some of the particular programs to work.. example.... I have Ad-Aware SE Plus .... I clicked on browse and found in the computer the Lavasoft file... then clicked on Ad-Aware SE Plus then clicked on the Ad Aware exe file and it worked. Ran the scan.....no help w the problem. Microsoft word opens but is messed up....Corel Paint Shop gives a msg that the agent failed to properly install... but I can see previously loaded photos and such tried a few commands... it seems to work.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Put the cd in got to the 1st screen 4 selections .... tried to click on install Windows XP it will not respond at all. UGH

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What were the 4 selections?

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Install Windows XP
Install optional Windows Components
Perform Additional Tasks
Check System Compatibility

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That isn't what I wanted to see. That's the installation starting from the graphical interface.

When you restart with the cd in the drive, you should be prompted to press any key to boot from cd. Do you get that option?