Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LNK Files

• Please log in to reply

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
yes... I see
?Other Devices
- Ethernet Controller
- Multimedia Audio Controller
- Network Controller
- PCI Device
- PCI Modem
- SM Bus Controller
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
- Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

all with yellow ? and ! displayed before them

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's do the ethernet first so you can get online with that machine. We'll take the chance that at least that driver will be safe to use.

In Device Manager, if there is a + sign next to Ethernet Controller, click on it to expand it. Right click on the device and choose "Update Driver". A Wizard will open. Have it try to install the device automatically and have it include C:\Windows in the search. Does Windows find the driver and install it?

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
There is a Yellow ? and ! in front of the ethernet controller and all of the other things I just listed...there are no + marks in front of any of these.... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's ok..right click on the device with the mark next to it and choose "Update Driver". Have it search as I described earlier.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
The update Wizards says:

The location you specified does not contain any device information files. Please enter another location or uncheck the "Include this location in the search' box.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Untick the box and have it search again. That's the only driver we need from the old install.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It says:
The wiszard could not find the software on your computer for...

Ethernet Controller

and then the option to connect to the internet to find the software

and then.... if you know another place the software might be located, click Back and select the Advanced option

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What was the make and model again? (don't want to have to search through all these replies to find it again :whistling: ) I'll locate it online and you can download it to your machine and transfer it to the lappy via cd?? Perhaps I should ask if you have a burner on your machine....

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have a burner on my computer

The make of the laptop is
Dell Inspiron 6000

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All of your drivers will be HERE.

Download the ethernet drivers first (you'll need to know which one is on the machine) so you can download the rest onto the laptop.

If you don't know the actual device and it isn't listed by name in the Device Manager, download and run Everest on the machine...it should list the device by name in it's report.

I'll be right here... :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You might also try the Wizard again and have it look in C:Windows\system32\drivers

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
There are 13 drivers and downloads for Inspiron Network Drivers......do I do all of them?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll need the one for the network card on your machine. Dell uses a lot of different models, but only one is on your lappy. If the name isn't given in device manager, download and install Everest on the machine.

Did you try the suggestion in post #101?

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
When I do #101 it goes to the opens the drivers folder and then there are 2 folders under it that appear to be empty 1 is disdn and the other is etc. When the selection in on the driver folder or the ones under the OK button is greyed out.

There is also a Windows0 file right below Windows

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Windows0 folder is the install you are working from...Windows is the old install.

Download Everest, burn it to a cd, and install it on the lappy. See if that will give us the name of the network adapter. Otherwise we will have to start making some educated guesses...I don't like guessing about these things.