Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition Help--Please,Please

• Please log in to reply

Onestep

Onestep

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I am having one heck of a problem. I bought a new computer ( Compaq,Windows XP edia Center Edition, 1 GB of ram, 250 GB harddrive).For a week I have been trying to install Norton Ghost 9 and even 10.I just can't get it. I have ran it for 4 years on my old computer but it was put in by a friend who is no longer around. I Partitioned some of the C Drive (25GB worth) using "Acronis Partition Expert" My questions are: How do I undo the Partion? (2) Should I use Partion Magic 8 and if so how do I install it? (3) I am wanting to use Norton Ghost 9 to ghost my computer, is that alright? I have epilespsy and I am all confused. Please help me somebody please.
Many thanks and God Bless.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Onestep...

Let me take a look at the partition information...we may be able to remove the partition using Windows.

Do you know how to make a screenshot? If not, you can install WinSnap and use that to capture an image of the Disk Management window I'm requesting.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". In the left pane of the window that opens, double click on "Storage" and then click on "Disk Management". Attach a screenshot of the resulting window here for me.

If you need help with the screenshot, please let me know.

wannabe1

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Hi Wannabe1,
Here is the attachment. Thank you for helping me.

Edited by Onestep, 08 January 2007 - 11:13 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Recovery Partition is going to get in our way...let me check on another application I know of to see if we can use it to combine the two partitions. This may take me a little while.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Hi Wannabe1,
ok, and I deeply appreciate you helping me. Do you reckon we are going to be able to install North Ghost? Many thanks .

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I set up a similar situation to yours on my XP machine and have been able to safely merge the partitions I created.

Download Paragon Partition Manager 2005 HERE and register for the key code HERE. You can ignore the "time limited demo" reference. Let me know when you have Paragon installed and are ready to proceed.

We'll use this application to merge the partitions. Once we have done that, we'll see if we can get Ghost to install. Norton products can be a bit picky about installing.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Hi Wannabe1, I have downloaded and enstalled Paragon and here is a screen picture of what I have attached to this. By the way, I can install Norton Ghost and still have it installed, it just doesn't do right. I will wait now til I here from you.

Edited by Onestep, 08 January 2007 - 11:12 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I sure don't like where that recovery partition located itself... :whistling:

Before we get started, let's talk about the Norton Ghost a little bit. When you say "it doesn't do right", what exactly isn't right? What version of Ghost do you have installed? Do you have a current Ghost image or have you not been able to get a viable backup using Ghost?

Is merging the partitions something you want to do because of Norton Ghost, or is it that you just want to eliminate the "K drive" on the machine in favor of a single C: partition? Sometimes knowing the "why's" can help determine the steps we take to address the problem.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Hi,
I have some info for you but first I will answer your question.

I can install Norton Ghost 9 just find but when I go to do a backup (ghost) it starts the backup and my monitor turns grey (the progress screen is there but NO text in the grey area, you know where it says percent done, time remain & etc...

Then about 20 or so minutes after starting a backup the grey turns to the normal Ghost progress screen with info filled in and showing progress of backup and runs through the whole process taking about 35 minutes or a bit longer

Then when finished it turns the monitor black and I have waited up to 30 minutes until finally I just cold boot the computer. Then I look in the "K" drive and there are about 10 ghost icons in there. But having to cold boot it is not finishing on its on. I am about ready to try another program like True Image. But I am holding out to see what you say.

Now I did talk to a microsoft tech this morning and he said I could delete the "D" partition (recovery) since I made up my own 2 dvd full recovery disk upon buying this computer.In fack he said I could merge the "D" & "K" partions and make it my Ghost Drive. What is your opinion.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
So how is the best way to get this mess straight and put a partition on the C drive so I can have Norton Ghost or what ever else is out there to use as a backup image.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Microsoft tech suggested the same as I would have given based on the information you just gave me. That would simplify immensely. I would merge D: and K: and utilize the space for backups.

If you have looked around the site much, you may have noticed that there are not many Norton fans here. :whistling: That's because Norton tends to be "not that great" software that ties up way too much system resource. Acronis, on the other hand, is a good application and is very reasonably priced for what it can do. An added benefit is that it's easy to install, easy to use, and easy to uninstall should you decide to do that.

To merge the D: and K: partitions using Paragon (another very good application), open Paragon, click on the "Wizards" link on the toolbar, and choose "Merge Partitions". The Merge Wizard will open. Click "Next" and click on the partition you want to expand (merge)...in your case D:, and click "Next". Click on the K: partition and click "Next"...you'll be shown before and after graphics, if you like what you see, click "Next", then click "Finish". Easy as that... :blink:

Let me know if you want to try and get Norton Ghost working properly or if you'd rather give Acronis a try. There is a free trial available HERE.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Hi Wannabe,

Ok, I have uninstalled Norton Ghost. I now have True Image 10 but not installed yet. So let's go full steam ahead.
I am trying to merge the partitions first but have a question.
(1) The D Drive is Fat32 and the K Drive is NTFS. Now when this gets merged, will this be a Fat32 or NTFS?

(2) Also about the 3rd click in it asked me to name the file? Can I name it something like "Backup" or "Image" as I will be using it to hold my backups or along with important doctuments?

(3) Also, what letter do I lable the partion D or K?

(4) I do remember the Microsoft tech saying something about keeping this a NTFS, is that true?

(5) Finally, the "D" drive contains a recovery backup which I will dump but I can't even see the files?

I am so sorry for all the questions but when in doult ask. So I am asking.

I will install True Image 10 after the partition is over cause I will probably have more questions then.
I really do appreciate your time and help. I hope True Image is easy to run. As I am a dummy.But once I get it in my head then its there to stay.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's format D: to NTFS and then merge the partitions.

Close the Wizard for the moment. In Paragon, right click on the D: partition and choose "Format". There's no need to name this volume as it will soon become a part of another volume...click "Ok" and then "Yes". This should convert the partition to NTFS and make it compatible with the file system on the K: partition. The formatting will remove any data on the partition.

Once you have done that, start the Merge Wizard again and follow the prompts to merge D: with K:...you can name this volume whatever you want if you are asked. Close Paragon to finish the operation. It will prompt you for the completing steps...allow the changes.

Reboot. Usually, Windows will assign a drive letter automatically to the partition, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Wannabe,
I goofed up somehow. I went in to change partition and backed out as I had some questions as stated in above message. Now I went back in again and here is how I stand. In this clip it won't let me click on the "K" drive.? Is that because I backed out and went back in? There is also something added called "extended"? Help, what do I do? Please.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not a problem...it's showing you that there is an operation pending. Close Paragon and cancel the operations when the pending operation dialog pops up.

Then follow the suggestions in my last reply. Remember, these operations won't be performed until you close Paragon...you can then accept the changes and the operations will be completed when you restart, so restarting will take a while. Windows may also fun a disk check on the drive...that's ok, let it continue. This will take a while, too.