Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

widescreen monitor help

• Please log in to reply

niccolai

niccolai

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I got a 19" widescreen monitor for xmas. it's a Westinghouse LCM-19w4 19" Widescreen Monitor.

The box and manual say it's plug and play and doesn't come with a CD.

I plug it into my computer and everything looks short and fat like I'm looking at a clown mirror. every picture I look at is stretched wide. The manual sais the monitor's native resolution is 1440x900 but when I go to my display settings, 1440x900 is not an option.

My graphic card is an intel 82810 and I updated the driver for it, but still nothing.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Incase it makes a difference, the computer is an hp pavillion 510w.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If 1440x900 is not available, my guess is your graphics card does not have enough video memory. It's maximum resolution is probably a 4:3 ratio (such as 1280x1024) which is why it looks wrong for widescreen.

My graphics card has 64Mb video-memory and it maxes out at 1280x1024, but since my monitor is not widescreen and it's only 17-inch, that setting is okay for me.

You will need to buy and fit a new graphics card with 128Mb video-memory on it to get 1440x900.

Edited by pip22, 08 January 2007 - 08:05 AM.

niccolai

niccolai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I can't set it to any widescreen resolution, so I think it's just that my computer is from before widescreens and I need some driver that will let my computer do this.

Edited by niccolai, 08 January 2007 - 10:41 AM.