Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Reboot running processor intensive programs

• Please log in to reply

buhthestuh

buhthestuh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello. If any one has any ideas on this I would greatly appreciate it. I have dealt with this problem for about two years running now, and have spent countless hours troubleshooting and trying various fixes. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. Whenever I run processor intensive programs I run an inordanitely high risk of my system rebooting. In particular when I run high end games, file archiving, video encoding and even DVD burning.

I started having this problem when I first bought my computer. I immediately new I was having overheating problems so I thought that would fix whatever was wrong. I bought a new CPU fan that works phenomenally, however I saw no change in the number of times my system would reboot. I was running Windows 2000 at the time, and I tried reloading Windows. That didn't work. I have since installed Windows XP and that hasn't helped and in fact, now it reboots more reliably than ever. Now it reboots everytime I run any processor intensive programs rather than just almost every time. I have tried swapping out memory chips, I have replaced the power supply, I have a new hard drive, a new DVD drive. I have checked my BIOS settings and everything appears to be in good order. Are there any BIOS tricks or CPU settings that might help me resolve this problem. More and more it seems to me that this is a CPU issue. Is it possible that my CPU is bad or has been damaged in some way.

I am at a loss.

Here are some of my component specs:
Pentium 4 2.8 GHz LGA 775 processor
Sapphire Radeon x600pro 256 MB Video Card
Crucial PC3200 DDR2 400 512 MB chip
MSI 915P Neo2 Platinum 1.0b 7028-50 Motherboard

Thanks.

Advertisements

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Most common reason for cpu shut down during intensive prgrams is heat. if your cpu overheats to a temperature that it deems could damage it it will turn ur system off, to prevent damage.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

if you download speedfan it will give your current temps and power voltages.
go here - http://www.majorgeek...ownload337.html

Please post a screen shot of your current temperatures and power voltages.

cheers...xxx1

sas1

sas1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i installed speedfan just now. my computer started (couple of weeks ago) shutting down
all the time though i do not run too much stuff on it. i noticed
that the fan is running like crazy.
the reading looks like this:
cpu diode: 102C
temp2: 102C
HD0: 44C
temp1: 61C

In the tray is shows 102C. Anything that can be done to
reduce the temp?

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi sas1,

can you post this in a new topic if your looking for help, makes things easier for everyone thanks.

cheers...xxx1

buhthestuh

buhthestuh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have attached a screenshot of my system at rest and another screenshot running WinRAR archiving a drive. Also, sometimes when I eventually get the blue screen of death I get one error message (I can't remember the exact syntax) about my paging file and missing a paging location and then another error message that reads:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

According to speedfan it looks like my CPU temp might be too high while processing, but when I had my old CPU fan in it would get up to 98C before it would reboot. So when I installed this new CPU fan and it dropped 40C I was sure I had solved my overheating problem. The CPU temp used to idle at around 78C. I've got a really nice CPU fan now. What else could I possibly do to bring down the CPU Temp.

I know I've run my machine hotter without any problems. Is there a way I could set the threshold higher before the system reboots

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUatRest.JPG
  • CPUProcessing.JPG