Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I connect to the Internet directly through a Westell 6100 DSL modem and recently it has been sporadically losing its connection. The only change I've made to my machine is a recent installation of Avast's free consumer verision antivirus software. Could this be affecting my modem's ability to remain connected? Disconnection happen when I have to wait for a load screen while gaming online or if I'm going from one webpage to the next. I know the av software scans pages as they load and I thought it was maybe blocking my connection.

I have to keep going into the modem's set up screen to reconnect often time required a reboot and reset of the modem.

Help - this is so annoying.

Edited by PuffGussy36, 08 January 2007 - 06:35 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If it's any help I can tell you that I've used Avast AV on my DSL connection with no problems like that, though my router/modem is not the same make as yours so it's just possible there may be a conflict between Avast and your Westell.

One suggestion is to switch from USB to Ethernet (unless you already use ethernet of course) to connect the modem to your PC if possible, as their may be a conflict between Avast and your Westell's USB driver.

You might also want to confirm that the problem is definitely connected to Avast by uninstalling it temporarily and see if the problem goes away.
It's quite safe to do that as long as you don't actually download any files without any AV protection. If that confirms that Avast is causing it, you may have to dump it and install something else. But free AV scanners are rare these days so you might be better off trying a commercial one on a free trial, then buy it if it causes no problems.

Edited by pip22, 08 January 2007 - 08:38 AM.

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Should I unistall Avast entirely or just disable it? I shut down the network scanning (LAN I think) but left the e-mail, web, p2p, web mail, etc scanning up. That was this morning before coming to work and my computer was only on for a little while longer so I wasn't really able to tell if it had any affect.

I am already connecting to the Westell using an Ethernet connection as opposed to a USB.

I really hope it's not Avast. It's the best free av I've come across from a resource and non-invasive stand point. The interface is really nice too.

I had previously been using Avira's Antivir but read that Avast had a better product. It looks like I'll have to try a few more tests before reaching a conclusion. Thank you for your input and advice.

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hi PuffGussy36,

Please post the problem at avast forum, http://forum.avast.com/ including your system properties, what firewall do you use if you use. If the problem is caused by avast, this may help in future with resolving problems of other avast users too.

Thanks,
SNOWHITE

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Sweet - thanks Snowhite

Edited by PuffGussy36, 08 January 2007 - 09:31 AM.