Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Switching COmputer Off

• Please log in to reply

snezzlebear

snezzlebear

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
LOL I know how silly the topic sounds but its true I do have trouble turning my computer off!

Reason being is that to turn it off I have to sit there for a minute and hold down the button for a minute or something when before I got my computer repaired it did it automatically. DOes anyone know how I can get it to do the same as what it used to do?

Thanking you in advance :whistling:

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Please provide more details. What are the specs on your system. OS? You say you had it repaired. Why? What was done? What are the details of the problem when you try to shut down normally? If it hangs-on which screen,etc. What results when initiating shutdown process from Taskmanager? Please post back with as much info as you can.

snezzlebear

snezzlebear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Please provide more details. What are the specs on your system. OS? You say you had it repaired. Why? What was done? What are the details of the problem when you try to shut down normally? If it hangs-on which screen,etc. What results when initiating shutdown process from Taskmanager? Please post back with as much info as you can.

all i know is that i have Windows XP thats bout it =/

It was repaired coz iof a virus - I dont really know what happened.

All i know is that i got Start >> Turn off the screen is fine but the computer continues to whir like its on still the screen turns off as usual.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
When you say "Repaired," do you mean that you took it into a shop and had someone do mechanical repairs, or do you refer to your malware removal process? It seems in those posts that you knew much more about your system than now? Are you still infected? Something new? Are you still using Limewire? I can't be of any help if I don't have any idea what is going on with your system. Please post back when you are prepared to be forthcoming.

snezzlebear

snezzlebear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

When you say "Repaired," do you mean that you took it into a shop and had someone do mechanical repairs, or do you refer to your malware removal process? It seems in those posts that you knew much more about your system than now? Are you still infected? Something new? Are you still using Limewire? I can't be of any help if I don't have any idea what is going on with your system. Please post back when you are prepared to be forthcoming.

When I say repaired I mean taken to a shop yes and yes I am still ising LimeWire.

From what I understand it was a virus but I honestly don't know I was infected recently and am still trying to get rid of the traces of it but this has been happennin long before that happened. I don't much bout the inner workings of a computer at all. I am sorry if you don't understand me as I am being as forthcoming as I possibly can. If you are able to tell me where I can find certain info about my system I will be happy to look but apart from that I'm not sure how I can explain to you.

Edited by snezzlebear, 14 January 2007 - 06:50 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

try using upclean tool
your registry is not shutting down but do a check disk as well

my computer
open
right click on c drive
properties
select tools
check now check both boxes
click start