Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My internet connection is flawed somehow.

• Please log in to reply

Tigris67

Tigris67

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I am a college student living in the dorms with an HP pavilion zv5000 laptop. For about 2 quarters I have been having this problem to where whenever I open my IE browser, it takes around 3 minutes to load the first page, but then anything after that is completely fast. But if I am innactive while the browser is on a page and don't load any new links for about 45 seconds, my connection blanks out and I have to wait 3 minutes for the next page to load. I have tryed Firefox and I get the exact same problems. I uninstalled and reinstalled both browsers as well. Now I have tried alot of things to try and fix this problem. I am using an ethernet cable that plugs into the wall for my connection but even the wireless causes the same problem. I even went home for the break and tried to connect there and the same results occured.
Another problem occuring(most likely related to my current problem) is the fact that any patcher or updater I use, never works and says it cannot get a connection. I cannot patch my AVG virus protector, or patch any games either because they just do not recognize my connection apparently, or its just poor. The odd thing is that my connection is incredibly fast whenever I get past that problem of loading te first page.

I can try to list my specs if they are necessary to solving the problems but if anyone has heard of a problem this and knows how to fix it, it would help tremendously! thankyou guys.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
From your description it sounds like your service provider is reassigning your IP when the connection is idle for any length of time, so that you have to get a new one when you resume your activity. If you're connected to a router see if it can be set to maintain the connection.

Open a command prompt and type in

ipconfig /all

and hit Enter and write down your Internet IP, then after it has one of the delayed loadings, do it again and see if it has changed.

Edited by Tyger, 08 January 2007 - 10:52 PM.

Tigris67

Tigris67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Wow, thankyou for the response! I think you are correct too because whenever I load up the browser, it says "Connecting to site 231.etc.etc.etc" on the bottom left. But getting back to your suggestion. I went to run and typed that command in and a black dos window flashed onto the screen but it immedietly dissiapeered and there was nothing I could check. did I do something wrong? or do I want to check my IP somewhere else? I must head to class, But I will be back soon. Appreciate the help considering no one else in the dorms could figure out the problem!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Type "cmd" into the Run box, then the command window will stay open, enter ipconfig /all into the command window. That should work.

Tigris67

Tigris67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I got that to work and it listed a whole bunch of statistics for me. I wrote down the IP adress and waited a bit for the problem to occur. When I retyped the command the IP number was the same. so I am still unsure whats wrong. But whenever I open my browser, it says on the bottom left..."Connecting to 72.232.135.12" Does that mean anything?

Edited by Tigris67, 09 January 2007 - 09:58 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks like malware that tries to take hold of your browser. I would take the preliminary steps specified here in the malware forum.

Tigris67

Tigris67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well I'm thinking I might have to reformat....it just seems likes its probably the best way to fix this nuissance.