Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

20 Pin VS 24 Pin PSU

• Please log in to reply

Tonny

Tonny

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello....I need a new power supply....

My old power supply was a 400W and had a 20 pin connecter that fit into my 24 pin motherboard. It also had a 4 pin connector that fit in to the motherboard just above the CPU.

Seeing I am up for a new PSU, should I stick with my old setup (above) or should I buy a PSU that has a 24 Pin??? If I do buy a 24 Pin PSU, do I still need to plug in the 4 pin plug above the CPU??

Also...can you go overkill with the wattage???? I was looking at a 500W, but there are some 550W and 600W that are only a bit more money....is it bad to have TOO MUCH Watts???

Thanks

Edited by Tonny, 09 January 2007 - 01:36 AM.

Advertisements

Tonny

Tonny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This may be a silly question,....I was looking at the Coolmaster EXtreme Power 550W (RP-550-PCAR) pictured here:
Posted Image

Does that 120mm fan push air out or suck air in???? Cause I have a roof on my computer and if the fan was sticking up it would be pushing air against the roof of my PC...I assume that the fan is suppose to point down and suck air from the PC...silly question I know :whistling:

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
To start with the final question there is no such thing as too much watt.

Each unit in the computer needs electricity and it will take based on its needs. The more watt u have the more units u can connect to the PSU. THe computer comes with a PSU that basicly hols enough for the mother board fans 2 hdd and 2 cd\dvd burner.
If u buy a new psu then u wont need a special connector for you'r 24 pin it comes together with the unit.

The fans on the psu is not something to wory about it is stantardly connected to the tower. the desiners wory about that problem.

In any case if the old psu was 400watt then connnecting a 500watt should b sufficent.

Tonny

Tonny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Vally....I just purchased the coolmaster I was talking about...should be here in a couple of days...thanks again for your advice :whistling:

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It was a pleasure
enjoy :whistling: