Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Symantec Personal Firewall Screws my net REWARD OFFERED

• Please log in to reply

Linden

Linden

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi,
I just installed Symantec personal firewall 06 and noe i cannot access the internet. i have tried un-installing it, but to no success. Please!! How do i fix it!! I will Donate to whoever fixes this for me!!.
*Note I can ping Google.com but cant got to it in IE/FF. I have tried the uninstall tool aswell :whistling:.

Edited by Linden, 09 January 2007 - 06:07 AM.

Advertisements

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Linden and Welcome to Geeks to Go,

What antivirus program do you have installed on your system? Also, do you still want to use the firewall program or still need help removing it as well as getting your connection back to the net?

Linden

Linden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
HI.
Right now i have nothing installed. I unustalled them both. secondly. Umm im running a Gaming server so a lag free firewall that stops most of the common attacks would be great. I am on the same computer right now in safe mode on the administrator account. and the net is working.

Edited by Linden, 09 January 2007 - 07:57 AM.

Linden

Linden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ohh and the anti virus i was using was
Symantec Personal firewall 2006. (Think its made by the same company as norton ^^)

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Have you tried doing a system restore going back to a point just before you installed the firewall?

Linden

Linden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Yes. No cookie -_-. It was still on my computer but wen i opend the controll panel it was complaining about missing files.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Let's try this from the beginning...even if this has already been done..let's double check. We will get you a anti virus and firewall program free here in a minute...

1). Click on Start | Settings | Control Panel
2). In the control panel double-click on Add / Remove Programs
3). Look through the list of installed programs for any item that says either "Norton" or "Symantec" or "LiveUpdate". (for example "Symantec Personal Firewall" or "Norton AntiVirus 2006") etc..
4). For each "Norton", "Symantec", or "LiveUpdate" item, select the item and click Add / Remove. Follow the instructions, and click Yes or Yes to all when prompted.
5). When you are done there should be no items in the list that say "Norton", "Symantec", or "LiveUpdate".
6). Click OK to close the Add / Remove Programs window.
7). Reboot your computer if it hasn't already automatically rebooted.
8). Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec folder. (or c:\Program Files\Norton)
9). Delete the c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared folder. (or c:\Program Files\Common files\Norton Shared folder)

Linden

Linden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Done :whistling:. There was none of the programs in the ad/remove programs list. however i found a folder :blink:. Symantec shared. Deleted. What now :help:

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
You said you have ran the symNRT program?

Linden

Linden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
symNRT? it wass ummm Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Edited by Linden, 09 January 2007 - 08:29 AM.

Advertisements

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
that's ok....

Linden

Linden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
o_O. ummm so what now? Restart in normal mode? yea i will try it :whistling:

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Please try and reboot into normal mode and try your connection again.

Linden

Linden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
:S /Cry.. It didnt work :'( Also. My Pop3 thing on my G15 Keyboard says "Authenication Failed"
Any more ideas?

Edited by Linden, 09 January 2007 - 08:52 AM.

Linden

Linden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I think it may have changed my Connection settings =\. I can still ping google and stuff tho.... *Confused*