Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

the War continues, Kaspersky Internet Sercurity 6 vs avira antivir (fr

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
the War continues, Kaspersky Internet Sercurity 6 vs avira antivir (free) & Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.6.3408

I love kaspersky for my home and network. But i'm looking for my clients who usualy are lookin for a form of freeware. i heard avira antivir is far supperior then some paid for products, and sygate which no longer excist do to Symantec buying htem out and ruining a very well made firewall, buy adding way to many bells and whistles. anyway tell me what you think for free users if anyone wahts to test them avira is free, and sygate is very hard to find but i have the free one in which i will post like from freewebs later for you.

Avira Antivir
Sygate Firewall v5.6.3408

Also, i'm looking for some good sites and files to test all 3 products i know leaktest is good one for firewalls, but what about avs?

thanks in advanced for anyhelp or feed back.

Edited by Mr.Logic, 11 January 2007 - 07:39 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You didn't mention 'Avast Home Edition' which is free yet very reliable and updates are both fast and frequent. I personally rate it the best of the freeware offerings:http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
i did forget about avast i'll have to run a test on both

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
ok in my test avast uses more memory then antivir, also antivirs virus database is bigger so i hate to put avast down but if you don't belive me check it out for yourself :whistling:

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts

ok in my test avast uses more memory then antivir, also antivirs virus database is bigger so i hate to put avast down but if you don't belive me check it out for yourself

Really? well yes, avast takes little more memory then avira but that is insignificantly, avast is set up and forget, i already installed this av on many computers, some of the owners are old, and i never heard someone complaining. I am running a BETA version of avast in the moment, this are some of the improved things scanning speed is improved, CPU usage is lower while booting, memory consumption is reduced and much more things....
So how do you make your tests?

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
i have a test sytem that i run next to main i test antivir on my main and avast on the test sytem running windows me OEM, i looked at both viruse databases after updating both and antvirs had a larger database by much maybe 60 - 70 and used a little less memory. not a big difference but in ranking in my book i'd put it first, my test method is a little bit of pain in the arse but it works.

and did you know that sygates personal firewall even though long gone from the market outranks in my book other firewalls but is a clsoe match to kaspersky. and i'm not sure if its allowedb ut i have link to a 1 month trial of sygate if you would like to take a look at it :whistling: , and the link for sygate is up top in the first post :blink:

Edited by Mr.Logic, 11 January 2007 - 07:40 PM.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
ok new result after sitting this evening and playing around with kaspersky's settings, i don't recommend it for hte gamer or p2p dler because of its constant nagging about everyport even on low sercuity.
both avast and avira are sweet for being free and well sygate lacks stabilty and protection form newer threats as I have seen in a leak test i ran so i think i'll stick with NOD32 7.0 being i got renew my subscription anyway and same zone alarm pro firewall they are working very well toghet for me and i'm no problem.

Any way thanks for the feed back Snowhite

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Haha, Kaspersky AV. What on earth is that screeching noise when it finds a virus?

Also, what about AVG? That's the best free Anti-Virus IMO.

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 12 January 2007 - 09:55 AM.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
ya i was getting beeps from my mobo not my speaks everytime something something wanted to access my net or when i found a virus very annoying but as i stated above don't recommened it for home. downloading/gaming users. it more for home business

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
AVG ya uts nice but avast has some better qualities. but if it works for you and suites your need thats what matters today

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Well, I only got AVG a few days ago (At one point I didn't even bother with an Anti-Virus) but yeah, it does it's job and it's free =)