Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Error

• Please log in to reply

Jasxh

Jasxh

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I have recently been given a computer which was recently been upgraded to ME, When I attempt to boot the machine up it only starts up about 5% of the time the rest of the time it gets just past the Windows ME screen and then gets to a screen with a blinking cursor. It remains on this screen for sometime and then either turns itself off or comes up with one of a small number of blue error messages, one of which says:

Error : OE : FFFF : FFFFFFFF

The machine will however boot up in safe mode.

Any help received would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
It seems as we have a corrupted driver.

Did you add any new hardware/software in the time-period?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you do get it up again, then go into device manager and look for any errors on the drivers.

Jasxh

Jasxh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Cheers i'll keep trying to boot in normal mode and indentify any problems like you said. If all else fails i'll come back to you guys and if that fails i'll pop down the road and get one of the local shops to look at it!

Many thanks.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If this is a desktop, they you could try disabling/ removing floppy, CD, extra HD (if any), etc, to minimise the extra drivers.