Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Building

• Please log in to reply

vinod407

vinod407

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi all,
I have a P3 800 MHz, 128 Mb Ram, ~ 6 yr old system.
I now plan to dispose of it and am dreaming of building a new system from scratch. My previous system was assembled by my friend whose help I can no longer take as he has shifted.
But, the problem is I am really on a shoestring budget say of ~ $ 500-550.
Can I go for a dual core processor, which mobo, goes with what, I'm a newbie.
I would be using this system for surfing the net, downloading images, clips, mpeg files, my wife would be using it as an entertainment pc and my 2yr old son as a toy.

Could you guys help me out, :whistling: please.

Thanks

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Generally, for a low budget system, you're better off buying a complete system than trying to build one on your own. The reason being that the Tier 1 OEMs get bulk deals on budget hardware that the average consumer can't get anywhere close to. Now, when it comes to high-end systems, then the reverse is generally true. The premiums that OEMs charge for their high-end systems are extreme and it's easy to beat the price by building your own.

So, in short, look online at Bestbuy, Circuit City, etc.. and find the best deal that you can for your price range. You really can find some outstanding values if you are patient and wait for a good deal.

However, if you just want the experience of building your own system, then you will need to look at budget parts. The lowest priced dual-core processor that I would recommend would be the AMD X2 3800+ AM2. Look at gigabyte and MSI mobos that are socket AM2 and support X2 processors.

Go to www.newegg.com and put together a list of parts. Then post it here and we'll help you with revisions.

Good luck.

vinod407

vinod407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:whistling: Hi,
I've just been to the newegg.com site and their representative told me that they don't ship to India. I think I would have to look up with the resellers out here in the market. Would keep you informed, by the way, are AMD processors stable, robust.

Thanks in advance.

Vinod