Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Someone Please Help! My computer wont log on!

• Please log in to reply

cros4t

cros4t

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
When I turn on the computer, I get this message:

Windows could not start becaue the following file is missing or corrupt:
/windows/system32/config/system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cdrom.
Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.

The problem is my system came with XP embedded and there was no backup/setup disk at all.
It doesn't do anything when I press "r". I don't get any other screen or options. What can I do? I only have this laptop on loan for a little while.

Advertisements

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Howdy,

Can you get into safemode.....

Restart the PC and after the bios loads but before the windows logo start tapping F8 about every second...that should bring up a option screen......choose Last Known Good Configuration using the arrow keys.....press Enter

If that doesn't work try getting into safemode again using the F8 key and choosing Safemode only.

Let us know what happens

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I tried both with the same results. The same message comes up.

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
If you have any important data on that Hard drive then you can take it out and put it on as Slave on another PC and get the data off it

Edited by Bonk, 09 January 2007 - 05:29 PM.

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Sorry. My loaner computer froze up. I don't have any idea how to do what you just said. Though I should warn you, my floppy drive hasn't worked since I had a new hard drive installed about 8 or 9 months ago.

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Though I should warn you, my floppy drive hasn't worked since I had a new hard drive installed about 8 or 9 months ago.

Is this problem with no floppy on your loaner ?

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
no, the floppy on the laptop works, just not on my pc.

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Understood....

The Disk didn't come with the loaner with the operating system on it did it?

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
No this is my niece's laptop. It's a windows 98 operating system. No disk that I know of. Is that the only way I'll be able to fix my computer?

Edited by cros4t, 09 January 2007 - 06:25 PM.

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
That or a floppy Fdisk......the original disk would be the safer option...as you could lose all the data on that Drive.

Advertisements

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Any idea how this happened? It was working fine earlier in the day on saturday. I walked away and came back to a black screen and then that message. Can I get or download the disk I need?

Edited by cros4t, 09 January 2007 - 06:40 PM.

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
You can try here not sure if this is a 98 or 98SE but having a knowledge of Dos is required.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

For info try here http://kb.iu.edu/data/ailx.html

Edited by Bonk, 09 January 2007 - 07:15 PM.

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have no idea what DOS is or what it does in my computer. I think I may be in way over my head with this one. I've had my computer for five years and have had more problems than you could imagine. I have a lot of information on it and would just like to get it up and running so I can save the necessary info and possibly build (or have one built) a new one and take some classes so I can work the thing without breaking it. Is there a place where I can download it for a fee?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
We can obtain boot disks from microsoft (forget how many, somewhere around 7-10)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hate to butt in on ya Bonk, but I'd like to try to help.

Cros4t, without an XP CD, the odds of repairing the operating system on that computer are slim to none.

DOS - that black screen with words, where can type stuff too sometimes.

I think our first plan of attack should be recovering your files. If we attempt any kind of repair, you could further the damage and lose your important data.

Options
1. Pull out your hard drive. Put it in another computer (either a friends, or bring it to a shop and they'll do it for $$$). Use that other computer to pull your data off (and possibly repair your hard drive).

2. Buy and XP CD and use that to attempt repair (not recommended as a first step and costs $100+)

3. Buy a hard drive enclosure and turn your internal hard drive (the one givin you trouble) into an external hard drive and then use another computer to pull your data off.

4. Create a boot disk with your niece's laptop and attempt repair with it (can give it a shot, depending on the criticality of the data you might lose. If ultra important, I wouldn't attempt repair until last).

Choose one and I'll walk you through it. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 09 January 2007 - 07:48 PM.