Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with memory upgradejavascript:emoticon(':help:', 

• Please log in to reply

ball

ball

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I currently have 2-256MB 400 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory sticks. I have four sockets to place memory sticks and would like to upgrade with more memory. If I buy a 1GB stick at say 533MHz will it be compatible with my current memory? Does it matter which sticks go in which sockets, i.e. does the larger memory need to go in the first one? Where is the best place to get more memory online?

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
big breath....

to upgrade, the same ram sticks need to be in the same color slots on the mobo, i.e. 2 sticks of 1GB have to go in both white, or both blue slots for dual channel to work.

all ram is backwards compatible if you mobo doesnt support the higher speeds.

www.newegg.com is a great vendor for any pc need.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
also to compound on above answer, if you buy 533 to work with 400mhz, the 533 will clock down to 400 so that they can work.