Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Issues

• Please log in to reply

TeyStar

TeyStar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Happy New Year all

I just bought a gaming computer from an online company and just received it 2 days ago. I'm really hoping someone here will have some answers to my issues since I've been trying to reach tech support of the company, since the morning I received it, to no avail.

In a nutshell, my gaming computer will not play games. More specifically, it reboots on it's own or freezes with the last few seconds of game sounds looping. It's a toss up on which will happen. I am able to log into the games, and play for up to 10 mins sometimes, then one of the two events I mentioned will happen. But, it happens with every game installed on the computer: World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2142, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Some simple video clips on websites will lockup the computer as well. It seems to be game-video-related.

Windows XP Pro X64
Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
(Socket AM2)ABIT KN9 SLI nForce 570 SLI MCP Chipset
DDR2/800 SATA-II RAID 16x PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel
Memory
(Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/
HyperTransport Technology
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Card x2 in SLI
800 W Power supply
7 case fans + heatsink
It was built by the company, and brand new

All the drivers are current. GPU temp = 49C. Updated the directx files. Pulled the video cards and RAM out and tested each piece separate. There are no dust bunnies building homes in there. Still not working as it should. I'm frustrated I can't enjoy my present. Any advice would be much appreciated! I have the Sysspec program from your forum sticky as well, if you need any additional information.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
are you running onboard sound or through a sound card?

are your games patched (especially battlefield 2142?)

TeyStar

TeyStar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Onboard audio (Realtek)

Yes, all games are patched. I just reinstalled Windows to see if that would help. Re-uploaded the drivers, reinstalled the games + patches. Computer is still rebooting on it's own.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I think you have a hardware issue. Have you contacted the place that built the system for you?

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I'm no expert, but I had a sound loop problem a while back and all I had to do was slide the sound controller from acceration to basic and it stopped going into a sound loop. The rebooting - you're on your own or with the experts on that one. The only time I had that problem was when the vx2 worm was running rampit. Ad-a-ware had a program to get rid of it, but that may not be your problem.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
What brand is your power supply?

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have no idea, as I never open my case. One of my sons is a tech for Digital Connections and all I know is he said it is a high end 400 watt. My computer was a joint venture of my three sons for a Mother's day present 2 and a half years ago, and then last year my tech son updated the power supply with this one and my other son moved me up from 512 mem to 1 gig.

You know there were a lot of people over at 3d Guru who were reporting the same problem as you. There seems to be a problem with some of the Video card drivers, as I've been having a problem with my own video driver. XFXforce. who put out my Nvidia Geforce 7300 gt just sent me an email to remove the 93.71 and they told me to put in the 91.47 as the other one is very unstable. They were also saying the same thing over at 3d Guru.

Edited by Writin_Reg, 15 January 2007 - 11:51 AM.