Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard lights flashing, drives disappear, computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

dashx

dashx

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm running Windows2000 on an AMD system, didn't install any new hardware lately, but two weeks ago my computer started acting really strange. It usually happens when I start or after using Outlook Express or Firefox - the three keyboard lights start flashing like mad, keyboard stops working. Sometimes when that happens there's a beep from the internal PC speaker, sometimes Windows claims I had removed my CD and DVD drive (same IDE port). The whole thing ends with either freezing the computer completely and me pushing the reset button or everything running smoothly again (without the drives, though...). I've never seen behaviour like that from any of my computers, and if someone has any idea what might be wrong or how to find out what's wrong, I'd be really grateful if you could give me a hint.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
:whistling:

Sounds like your motherboard is going out. Probably a good idea to backup your data ASAP.

I don't know of any definate way you can test to see if it is the motherboard, but we can run some tests and see if we can cause some errors to pop-up, and possibly find another defective part. But before we do so, back up whatever is important to you on that computer.

Let me know when you are ready, or if you need any assistance with backing up data.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 10 January 2007 - 10:13 PM.

dashx

dashx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your reply. Shortly after I'd posted my question my hard disks started acting up, partitions deleted, data lost. I replaced the motherboard with my old one, formatted the hard disk, installed windows, everything seemed to run smoothly for a couple of hours, then the same problems started again.
The three LEDs on the keyboard are flashing and it stops working while it does that. Happens at random times, but almost every time when I load a website (right now, for example, whenever I hit the preview post button...). Mouse pointer also disappears, after a couple of seconds everything is working again. I also noticed that when the LEDs start flashing I get a weird noise from my USB headphones.
I guess since I replaced the motherboard it's rather unlikely that it caused the problem. I don't know too much about hardware - do you think RAM, CPU or power supply could be responsible? Any programs out there to test that or any way I could find out? Thank you for your help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

do you think RAM, CPU or power supply could be responsible?

That's a very good question. Never heard of such problems before. I do have a quick and easy solution though...a baseball bat. :whistling:

But if you don't like that solution, we can start by testing out the power supply and integrity of the hard drive(s) :blink:

Please download Speed Fan and install it. If you have trouble, you can use a different computer to download it, and then transfer it to the problematic computer.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

dashx

dashx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm actually beginning to like the baseball bat idea :whistling:
I disconnected the second hard drive, problem persists, so I guess that wasn't the problem either. Suppose the hard drive still connected might be in the process of dying because it keeps giving me a couple of those "trying to recover allocation unit" messages when formatting. But I've had drives saying that for years and running smoothly nonetheless, and I guess it wouldn't cause those LEDs to flash either.
Anyway, two screen shots for you:
screenshot1.jpg screenshot2.jpg

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Speed Fan says everything is fine, as far as the power supply, temperature, and hard drive health is concerned.

Let's collect more information about your computer:

Download and run WinAudit. Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit.

Please do NOT attach the folder to a post here. For security reasons, the info that Winaudit gathers should not be made available to the public. Rather, take that folder and send it to me through a PM (Private Message) instead. If you have trouble sending it to me in a PM, I will give you my e-mail address.

dashx

dashx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I got myself a baseball bat and now everything's fine again :whistling:

I had to replace the power supply after a part had apparently been ripped off by the fan or something (never seen that before...). I'll also have to replace the motherboard because things are fine with the old one, but with the new one the computer won't boot whenever I plug anything into secondary master.

Anyway, I suppose my problem was some weird combination of failing power supply and motherboard.

Thank you very much for your help :blink:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Very interesting indeed. Thanks for letting me know how you solved it. :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Whoopsies, posted in the wrong thread. That's what I get for having more than one GTG window open :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 January 2007 - 09:14 AM.