Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advise in the Total Removal of McAfee

• Please log in to reply

JanPA

JanPA

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: [font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=#CC33CC][b]

Just discovered your site and I like it already. I've been on the computer for 25 years, but with the changing ways of cyber space, I feel like I'm a novice.

My latest problem is protection. I was recently advised by my server to have a couple of virus protections downloaded. I have Ad-Aware, Windows Defender, AVG Free, Spybot Search and Destroy and Webroot Spy Sweeper.

I just recently downloaded McAfee and want to get rid of it. I went to Add/Remove and I'm getting messages like '.....some McAfee Security Center components might not have been installed or launched properly. Restart your computer to fix this. If this message appears again after restart, please reinstall McAfee Security Center' and '.....an application component is missing. Please reinstall McAfee Privacy Service. Error Code: (7.1.015)'. All this occurs upon start-up.

I have done all this and still get the error codes after reinstalling and removal. I have decided I do not want McAfee and want to get rid of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? What ones should I keep and what should I get rid of as I know I now have too many. My server is offering me Avast. I will be a real happy person if I could receive any advise from anyone on how to do this. The McAfee site does not tell you. Also what your preferences are. :blink: Oh, and I prefer anything 'FREE'. Who doesn't!

Have a great day, JanPA

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
To keep untrained individuals from responding to your thread, I am going to move it to the malware removal forum. Thats where we discuss all things security related.

I was recently advised by my server to have a couple of virus protections downloaded.

This person should be shot, honestly. More than one antivirus program on a computer is an absolutely horrible idea. The 2 programs will conflict and lock necessary files and slow your computer to a halt. Not to mention the boot errors and system crashes that it will cause.

I have Ad-Aware, Windows Defender, AVG Free, Spybot Search and Destroy and Webroot Spy Sweeper.

You are right, thats a bit of overkill, however only one of them is actually "Antivirus". The others are antispyware or antimalware, although it doesn't seem like it, there is actually a very big difference.

You already have a great antivirus program (like any protection software, its only as good as you let it be. You must do the proper updates for it to work properly). AVG antivirus is the free one that almost everyone here would suggest for you.

Keep AVG and SpySweeper (did you pay for it? If not, get AVG Antispyware to go along with AVG Antivirus).

Lets see your uninstall list so we see what else you have hiding.

Please read this post and follow the instructions in step 5 on how to download and run an uninstall list from HJT.

ScHwErV :whistling: