Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP Session Timeout

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I have my own website and am currently trying to upload many Photos of the Scouts and their camping Trips. The problem is that there are more than 14,000 photos and the amount of files left is close to 2 GB in size.

I am using ftp to upload the files by the folder but every once and a while I will get ftp timeout errors. Does anyone know of a way to prevent these timeout errors or a better program that I could use to upload the files. (Currently using Windows Explorer Browser)

Thanks a lot.

-Matt

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
If I am not mistaken this is all controlled at the server level.

Unless you have access to server functions I don't think there is anything you can do. FTP programs will allow you to set things that are basically a "do nothing command" (noop, Smart Keep Alive, etc).

Most of the time the timeouts are in place to either prevent flooding on the server (think DoS attack) and to prevent idle connections from tying things up.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thank you very Much. Was not sure if there was a program that accounted for that. Thank you.