Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Building New System

• Please log in to reply

PohTayToez

PohTayToez

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've done quite a bit of computer work, but I am just now putting together my brand new system. I have everything together, and I just tried to boot it up with a hard drive with Windows XP Pro, and it starts fine, but the second it trys to load windows, it shows a blue screen with some information on it (not the BSOD, but similar) for a fraction of a second (not half as long as needed to actually read it), and promptly restarts. All of the parts are brand new, except for the HDD, which I have swapped out and tried two others with the same result. Upon restarting, because windows failed, it gives me the choice of starting regularly or in safe mode, both of which crash as well. I have no idea what the matter is, could someone please help me?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Does your old hard drive have a copy of windows already installed on it from the previouse computer???

if this is the case you will have to reformat the drive and re-install windows. the windows OS isn't just swap and go it has to detect all of your harware and if its been a compleate change then you will need to re-install the OS

troppo

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
or, if you have the os cd, (not a restore) you can pop it in and boot from it and act like your installing windows and repair existing os

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
sometimes yuo can resotre your computer by using this method but not a full system rebuild

what where the specs of your old computer copared to the new specs of your computer it is better to install a brand new OS on a new system anyway there are no bugs and no glitchs so u wont sacrifice speed or reliabilty

thats what i always do...

troppo

PohTayToez

PohTayToez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have switched hard drives out from completely different computers before successfully, but I guess never from one as old to one so new. Also, neither my processor nor my RAM nor my video card is on my mobo's ridiculously short "Qualified Vendor List", but I assumed if any were incompatible it would not even boot up. Am I correct in assuming this?