Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore CD

• Please log in to reply

ComputerAbuser

ComputerAbuser

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A friend gave me a computer that was damaged in a basement flood, Mobo damaged, replaced with new Mobo, The restore cd would not load because it did not see it's original Mobo. I contacted Microsoft to help but no response at all. I need a way to extract the winxp OS from the restore cd so I can install it on the new Mobo. I shouldn't have to purchase a new OS since the one I have is legal. the restore Cd is for HP brand, also contacted HP but no response either. Any Ideas?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Nope. A restore cd is not the same thing as a "real" Windows cd, and you can't "extract" the OS from it.
Johanna

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Restore CDs are designed to work with the board that the system came with originally, because the licence HP have for your copy of XP is locked to that board. Therefore the board dies, the licence dies and as far as Microsoft are concerned, you need a new copy of XP.