Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell inspiron 5150 crashes when plugged in

• Please log in to reply

queenarmadillo

queenarmadillo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had my inspiron for 2 years with no problems except a brief period of crashing through overheating about 6 months ago which I solved by reinstalling windows to reduce burden on CPU.
In the last couple of weeks however, it has developed a new problem.
The first time it happened the laptop was switched on and running on battery. When I plugged in the power supply everything froze (and ctrl alt del didnt help) and could only be shut down by holding the main "on" button. Following that when I switched on again I only got a flashing white dash in the top left corner. I performed a hard reset, and for some time the computer failed to reboot properly, getting stuck and freezing completely at some point during boot up (where the windows logo is displayed with the scroll bar across the bottom). Eventually it started up and seemed to run ok.

This problem has now reocurred frequently (every time I plug in the power supply whilst running) but also seems to sometimes occur randomly without me touching the powersupply at all. Once I got a message saying that the computer had not properly shut down due to overheating, but it wasnt very warm at the time and only being used to browse the internet. The problem has increased in frequency and now also seems to occur if I plug in my power cable whilst the laptop is switched off (i.e. it doesnt boot and just shows the flashing white line). The problem is thereby compounding itself because I cant do a hard reboot without removing and replacing the main power lead. Can anyone make any suggestions as to what is wrong or how I could make living with this problem easier?
Thanks for your time in reading this, and any help you are able to give.

Advertisements

queenarmadillo

queenarmadillo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Also wanted to add that last night it randomly rebooted itself and made a wierd crackley sound all the time it was rebooting (which I doubt will help anyone to help me understand what it is, but just in case...)