Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need HELP w/ Outlook Express 6!

• Please log in to reply

ojb27

ojb27

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I was randomly asked by Outlook Express if I wanted to compact my messages to save disc space, so I agreed and allowed the program to compact my messages.

Now, I can't locate all those old messages that were compacted!!! I have no idea how to access the old messages and I need to get to them ASAP.

Please help.

Thanks,

JB

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I have been compacting my folders in OE since Win 3.1 and never had it lose my email. Plus I never had OE ask me to do this little chore, but then I have the boxed checked to do this in the background for me. You can check under Tools>Options and click the Maintenance tab.

While you're on the Maintenance tab, you can check and copy the path to your Store Folder by clicking the button. This is where the *.dbx files for OE are kept. You can also change this folder to something more convenient if you haven't already done so. I use My Documents\My Email as my store folder and have put My Documents as a Tool Bar so I can go to everything in this folder.

If you decide to change folder path, OE will automatically move your files to the new folder. Should you want to see if there are missing email on your HD, search for *.dbx and *.eml files. If you saved an email as a *.txt file, you are going to find a lot of these!

If all this doesn't get it, try downloading Outlook Express Recovery Tool.

Hope this helps.

Ron