Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD - RW Troubles

• Please log in to reply

ashultz

ashultz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My DVD-RW is not recognizing any discs I put in. When I go into the control panel, it says Phillips DVD-RW (yellow ?) and then it says that the file is either missing or corrupted.
I ran a self test and all tests on my cdrom passed. What do I do?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
A yellow question mark means "Unknown Device". Windows doesn't know what sort of device it is. It can't be a manufacturer's driver that's missing or corrupted because Windows uses it's own Microsoft drivers for all CD and DVD drives. So it's probably one or more of Windows internal drivers that are missing/corrupted.

Make sure the drive is connected and configured properly (slave or master, depending on the configuration of the other drive it's sharing with if one exists).

If you are sure it's fitted and configured properly, try this:

Run the System File Checker tool. Start>Run. Type SFC \SCANNOW and click 'OK'. You will need to have your XP CD to hand so that Windows can copy any fresh system files it needs from it.

Edited by pip22, 11 January 2007 - 01:00 PM.

The Batman

The Batman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm experiencing almost exactly the same problem. My DVD - RW drive also won't work, unless I boot up my laptop with the DVD or CD already in the drive, but it doesn't show a yellow or red mark next to it in my Device Manager.

I don't have the Windows XP CD, it didn't come with my laptop when I got it.

Is there another place to find the drivers I might need?

Is this a case of vastly different problems having the same symptoms?

Thanks for any help.