Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless cannot find DHCP server

• Please log in to reply

rob.jarvis

rob.jarvis

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I know this problem has cropped up several times but I've tried the advice from everybody else.

Laptop has linksys wpc54g adaptor, router is linksys WAG54GS.
Wireless security is disabled at both ends. Laptop linksys monitor shows 100% signal strength & quality, and can see the SSID, channel, etc.

But it cannot get an IP from the routers DHCP, and instead has created one: 169.254.146.141 with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. I gather this gets created by the OS when a DHCP cannot be found.

I also have a PC hard wired into the router which works fine and get an IP from the DHCP server.

I should add that when looking at the wireless status on the router, the Wireless Clients Connected table identifies the MAC address of the laptop but shows a blank IP & subnet.

So now I don't know where to turn?

Edited by rob.jarvis, 11 January 2007 - 03:36 PM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi Rob,

I'll assume that the wired connection is the same and say reset the router.

Unplug the router and hold the reset button on the back for thirty seconds. If it configures automajicly then you should be up and going when it finishes reseting. You'll need to re-establish the wireless security.

Edited by silverbeard, 11 January 2007 - 05:45 PM.