Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cell Phone Battery

• Please log in to reply

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello,

I just got a new cell phone and was wondering what to do about the initial charge to get optimal battery life and performance. I have heard that when you get a new phone that you should charge it while it is off for 24 hours. I have also heard that you should run the battery completely out and then charge it fully while it is off. This is because it comes from the factory with about half a charge. What is the correct answer? :whistling: By the way, the battery in my phone is listed as "800 mAh Li-Polymer". I'm not sure if this information is needed.

Another, sort of related question is, is there any problem or potential problem charging the phone while it is on?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Jiff

Jiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Maybe I should have posted my question in the Tech Discussion forum. :whistling:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I have heard both of those suggestions. Also, to avoid the car charger. But I don't know fact from fiction. Perhaps the best resource is the manufacturer. Good luck. And when you find out, let us know. :whistling:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I believe the Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries needed to be drained fully, because they actually would hold a memory of their charge time - if you didn't let them drain fully periodically, they would not fully charge. I don't believe that's true with the newer lithium batteries.

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
I am no expert, but I had heard that you should always let your batter drain completely or as close to it as possible before recharging, and have lived by that rule since I got my cell phone. With about two calls a day, my battery will last aprox 1 week; however, my brother's phone (exact same as mine) will last only two days because he never let it drain.

I can't tell you if its 100% true or not, but I would think it couldn't hurt to always let it drain :whistling:

-Silenced Message