Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my OS

• Please log in to reply

Malikor

Malikor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a laptop with a Turion 64 processor in it. I run XP Home and I want to upgrade to XP Home 64-bit Edition. I know this is possible. The question is, what is the advantages of upgrading it and how much would the upgrade OS cost?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Why do you want to upgrade to 64 bit edition? You should wait intill the new Vista comes out.

Malikor

Malikor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I want 64-bit Edition because my computer can handle it, and there has to be some advantages to running 64-bit than 32-bit. I dont know what the advantages are yet and I would like to know. I do not want to wait for Vista 64, and Vista is going to take some time before Microsoft figures out all the bugs and makes updates to fix the problems and make it more secure.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
What are your specs?

Malikor

Malikor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
AMD Turion 64 1.8 GHz
100GB Hard Drive
1GB DDR333 RAM
ATI Radeon Express 200M

http://support.gatew...008824sp2.shtml

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I do not think it is necessary to upgrade to 64bit edition. I dont know if this a fact or not but I think 64 bit edition is for Windows XP Professional unless you want to start over and do a clean install.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Only advantage that I know of for sure is if you run 64 bit programs (which at the moment are rare), they run much much faster. How much faster exactly I'm not sure, but from what I've heard, if you have internet explorer in the 64 bit version, and a fast connection of course, you can't even blink before the page is loaded. At least that's what I've heard...

But it is definately faster...with programs that are 64-bit compatable. Those that aren't compatable run just normal.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 11 January 2007 - 09:57 PM.

Malikor

Malikor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright, thank you. And by the way, it is only in 64-bit Pro at this time, but you can buy an upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro 64-bit

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Is that possible? I did not know that.

Thanks! :whistling: