Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FRUSTRATED!

• Please log in to reply

sososick

sososick

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi. I sent my laptop to HP so they repair, and they formatted it. Not a problem. First, they installed Norton Internet Security, and it's the most annoying thing ever. Whenever MSN tries signing in, Norton asks for permission. It pisses me off. I tried uninstalling it, it says i need a supervisor password, and i have no idea where to get that from. And i didn't even register for anything.

Secondly. THE QUICK LAUNCH ICONS! They're annoying. I order them, then when i restart, they reorder alphabetically by themselves. WHY! Why don't they stay the same as i order them?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
To kick Norton to the curb:

Download and Run the Norton Removal Tool This will remove all versions of Norton.

Once you have it removed, I recommend replacing it with Avast, which is free and soooooooo much better. Just don't forget to register Avast, or you won't get your free key to unlock it for 1 year! :blink:

As for the Quick Launch icons, not quite sure. I can do a bit of research if no one else here knows the answer. Never heard of this problem before. :whistling:

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have AVG Free Edition, is Avast better or will i be fine with AVG?

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
this may sound low brow, and if so i apologize, in regards to the quicklaunch, have you tried right clicking on the taskbar and selecting the "lock" option....

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I use Avast: Free Edition, have for about 3 years, never gotten a virus, spyware, adware, or anything else so I highly recommend it. As for the quick launch buttons I'm not sure, Sorry.

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

this may sound low brow, and if so i apologize, in regards to the quicklaunch, have you tried right clicking on the taskbar and selecting the "lock" option....

Yes it is locked.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

I have AVG Free Edition, is Avast better or will i be fine with AVG?

You'll be "fine" with AVG, though in my opinion, Avast will be better for you. I haven't tested AVG lately (I like to test things to give people the best advice), but from the last time I tested it, it had problems with deleting quite a bit of infections. It caught them, probably even stopped them from executing, but it couldn't delete them for some reason, and kept warning about them :blink:

Avast has about 6 different active infection "shields". It auto-updates as soon as you connect to the internet each day. And it has a virus recovery scanner. Don't quite know how to use that, but it supposidly scans your files, makes records of them, and allows you to easily disinfect your files if they get infected. :whistling: A very easy to use program too. You can't have it automatically scan with the free version, but it isn't hard to do. And personally, with all those "shields", I don't even worry about it. But then again, I have my safe surfing habits to thank for keeping myself clean more than actual protection programs. :help:

Unlock the taskbar, move the icons how you like, lock it back, and reboot. Let's see what happens.