Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pentium D 945 cpu problems

• Please log in to reply

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I just installed this two days ago in my asus p5ld2-vm rev 1.03 gc with bios 1102, temp at idle 34 on load 42. It works fine for short periods of time but then it hangs itself and freezes, i thought it might be voltage problems so i adjusted the voltage and will be posting back with results. Can anyone recommend a good hardware diagnostic program so that I can test my system for problems.

Advertisements

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
does no one know or does no one want to help?, well i think i might have figured out the issue anyways, I think it could have been a power drain issue that caused the freezing, still testing am still open to suggestions

Poppy Field

Poppy Field

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have exactly the same problem. Had no joy from ASUS.
Can anyone shed any light on this please?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Take your choice of testing software.

http://www.benchmark...ml?/be_cpu.html

Have you looked in event viewer to see if you have any problems? Seldom have i found a CPU causing lockups. It is usually incompatable drivers or a BIOS problem if the CPU is involved at all. Do you really think that a change in cpu's ( from what a 2.4 or 2.6?) will cause a power problem. Funny that my intel 2.4 pulls just as much wattage as my intel 3.0 and runs at the same temps also. Perhaps you were running on a 533 bus and switched to a 800 bus. That could cause problems with some software( games). Have you tested the computer for power to see what the 12 volt line real voltage is? Speed fan is your friend here. I have seen many computers with lockup problems caused by cheap power supplys that would not supply more than 11.7 volts on the 12 volt line. Usually replacing the PS with a quality one solved the problem.

A little patience with the people here would go a long way to getting answers to your questions. I usually will not answer to impatient people that expect the answers as soon as they type them in.

SRX660

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
it is working fine now i just have to monitor it when i am using it for long period of time. The psu delivers the full 12 volts i checked it all. I had a prescott core 2.93 which pulled 112 watts on full load and 95 on idle i switched to the pentium d series, which loves the wattage, idles at 125 and maxes at between 135-145 depending. So with two hdds, 2 optis, my ram and my video card when both optis are in use there is not enough wattage on my 430 watt psu to run everything. Its time for a psu upgrade so i am shopping around.

Sorry about the anxiousness of my posts in janruary i sometimes get frustrated, I can usually fix it myself if i exercise some patience.

Edited by Dan1887, 14 February 2007 - 11:03 AM.