Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How's your weather

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
We ended up with about 5-6 inches of sleet here, and it's still sleeting on and off. The roads are an icy mess - my husband barely made it out of our street with all wheel drive, and our neighbor with the little Toyota hybrid got stuck and is digging his car out now. Fortunately, we didn't get as much freezing rain as predicted. That causes a solid sheet of ice, as opposed to all the little ice pellets in sleet, which actually provide some traction.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Hope spring comes soon. :help:

all I can say is amen to that! :help:

The guy can't come and plow out our driveway until late today, or early tomorrow morning. :whistling: Places like stores, doctors, etc are more important, apparently. :blink:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I just spent an hour doing half the driveway. The ice had melted slightly so I was dealing with very heavy slush on top, ice on the bottom. Now I have to go do the other half and the driveway and steps.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:whistling: I know the feeling. My back is killing me trying to dig out my car. I didn't even try to dig out the old car. :blink:

Todays pics after blizzard ended

kh1+2

kh1+2

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
well it was a nice and sunny day today in the afternoon but early on in the morning nothin but typical english weather (cloudy and cold) but during the afternoon it turned out really nice and sunny with no clouds in sight well it had to be it bein valentines day and all. if only there were someone to share it with :whistling:

happy v day all

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
So jelious about the blizzard you guys are having.....
Enjoy it while it lasts - that is if you enjoy it.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 February 2007 - 04:30 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
what a difference a week makes!! :blink: Last Mon night/Tues we had a blizzard and well below zero temps.

Today...it rained and was 40F! :help: the snow is melting, and my driveway and yard have turned into a giant lake, with huge snowdrifts dotting it all over! :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol just hope it doesn't drop below 32 again, once it freezes and roads turn into skating rinks, life is then [bleep].
James

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
You know you live in new england when.... It is almost 50 degrees F outside, and everyone is walking around in T-shirts commenting on what a beautiful day it is. :whistling:

kh1+2

kh1+2

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
nice and sunny in london today even though the weather man predicted storm and showers but i will give him a little credit because it is a bit cloudy......... not alot but a little

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
James...it is still getting down below freezing at night. That means we're having very thick fog in the mornings, everything freezes at night into ruts, and then thaws again in the mornings...only to start over again that night. :whistling:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It's been in the upper 40s/lower 50s for the past two days. People have been injured by large sheets of ice falling off of office buildings as they melt. My dog is happy to see some grass again though. She doesn't like using the ice as a bathroom!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
When times are icy like that, I really worry about senoirs.

Snow I can deal with(love it), ice and fog I cannot :whistling: Put the conditions together and they make the worst mix.
James

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
It's still pretty warm here in Oz during the day - 35 (95) and getting a little cooler at night - 22 (72). There are only a few very small patches in our state of New South Wales that aren't drought declared. Water is a big issue with some states looking at (and some actually instigating) treating effluent for drinking! :whistling: Some of our major rivers that have never been know to stop flowing are almost dry. They've been forecasting rain for our local area each day this week, but we haven't seen any yet!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

When times are icy like that, I really worry about senoirs.

Snow I can deal with(love it), ice and fog I cannot :whistling: Put the conditions together and they make the worst mix.
James

It was so icy here they put out an alert asking people not to sled, or at least to wear helmets. We've had 2 people die in sledding accidents. The most tragic was a 16 year old boy from a nearby high school. He was sledding down a 1000 ft hill on his family farm, hit a bump and went airborne, crashing into a tree and a ravine. It took rescue workers 25 minutes, using a system of ropes and pulleys, to get down the hill and pull him out. One worker described the hill as being like an ice rink at a slant - it was so slippery, you couldn't walk down it. Local hospitals were reporting hundreds of emergency room visits from sledding accidents and falling on the ice.

We had several days in the upper 40s to low 50s, which melted a lot of it, but last night into today we've had severe wind warnings, with gusts close to 50 mph, and the temps are below freezing again.

*sari waits for spring