Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Systray Icons Missing

• Please log in to reply

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
One of the big annoyances of Windows and not only XP are the from time to time disappearing icons in the systray (notification area). I've tried about everything included some special tools like "Taskbar Repair Tool". Some icons from time to time do NOT show up after boot, and some icons disappear while doing some heavy graphic work or other memory or CPU heavy jobs.

Now like I said nothing helps. So because the applications are no more accessible (they are always 100% of the time running in the background > also at startup some icons do not show in the systray but the applications are running nevertheless); what I do to make the icons disappear and have access to the programs is NOT clicking on a shortcut to the program because I would get a message "....is already running". I usually close the program with Ctrl+Alt+Delete and reopen it by clicking on it's shortcut. I can make every icon reappear this way exept for some.....

And here's my question: Is there a shortcut or an indication in the Task Manager for "safely remove hardware" ? if that icon doesn't show up in the systray ?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Check out this link for possible fixes for the missing system try icons.

As for safely removing hardware when the icon is missing: right click My Computer, Manage, Removable Storage, Media, right click over the specific one, Eject.

Also, your profile shows your OS as Windows XP SP1. I highly recommend that you install SP2.

Please post the results, good or bad.