Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Problems

• Please log in to reply

Linhans

Linhans

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. We are using a broadband connection using usb to connect instead of ethernet. I installed an ethernet card today. XP finally recognized it but there seems to be no driver. In the device driver area of xp, there is still a question mark and I tried to connect with the ethernet and nothing. I checked network connections and all we have is 1394 and our motorola surfboard modem listed. I was told that xp would build a driver for the card but it has not. The cd that I got with the card doesn`t load anything as far as drivers go. I am so totally confused. Everyone I talk to says it is so simple. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help in advance. :whistling:

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would go right to the manufacturer of the card. Go to their site and download the newest drivers. If you need help from there, let me know.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
could we have the make and model number of the card please

Linhans

Linhans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The card I tried to install drivers for is a Realtek 8169 I believe. I solved this problem today by taking the card out of our present computer and installing it in an older machine we have. It worked fine including drivers. What I think may be happening is that the machine we are using has a MSI K7N2 mobo with an intergrated rj-45 which I take it is for ethernet use. I went to MSI, downloaded drivers, installed them and checked the device manager for drivers and it shows the nvidia networking with no question marks or exclamation marks by it. Then tried connecting it to my motorola surfboard and shut the machine down. When I restarted the machine still no internet activity.. The network connections do not recognize the nvidia networking connection, though. When I try to troubleshoot it, windows says there is no driver. I am really confused. I appreciate any help out there.