Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC free of malware but very slow

• Please log in to reply

ianmo

ianmo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Having been coaxed through the cleaning up of my xp p4 by the knowledgable guys on the malware forum, I have been pointed in this direction.
I cant get the cd drive to work..i can here it trying but not firing up (device manager says its working properly). The ctrl+alt+del does not work. The pc takes around 25 mins to start up. IE seems to work reasonably well once the pc has been on for 45 mins or so. Task manager does not work.
Any suggestions guys?
Thanks in advance,
Ian

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this

http://download.micr...240/AutoFix.exe

Then

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
when i reformatted a computer i needed to find a driver
no matter how much i searched i couldnt seem to find it
so i spoke to a friend who told me about Driver Genius
so i went to download the trial and it found a driver that was compatible for the computer
you dont need to purchase the program just download it and look for the driver
once its found then you go and find it your self just type everything in search bar and when you find the site that your looking for start looking for your driver that driver genius recommends
heres driver genius download page

http://www.driver-soft.com/

it will find all the drivers you need
but the program works on the computer that needs drivers
you can always uninstall it once your done
good luck