Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp won't boot anymore...

• Please log in to reply

babytarantula

babytarantula

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok i got a difficult situation. I installed a software that messed up my computer for sure. Now i am unable to open Windows xp sp2.When i start my Toshiba laptop it tells me that windows can't be open because the system file is corrupted. Then it suggest me to run the windows cd to repair that. Everything seems easy but the hard thing is that even when i insert the windows cd in the middle of the file loading it says : *** file unavailable, impossible to setup windows.

So i think it's a virus that doesn't want me to repair it...
my question is: is there anything else i can try?
if not: what is the best way to access my harddrive in order to save my important files?

i've tried last configuration settings: error too...:whistling:

Thank you!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi babytarantula...

Are you booting to the cd? When you start the computer with the cd in the drive, you should see a prompt at the top of the screen to "Press any key to boot to cd". Are you seeing this prompt?

wannabe1

babytarantula

babytarantula

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi wannabe1

Actually no but it works anyway, i mean it starts booting and it's starts unloading the files it needs to start the actual windows xp setup and while in the process: error. I think it's a problem coming from a virus or something that messed up my system so much that even the rebooting is impossible. I don't even have time to ask the windows xp cd to REPAIR my cd. If i could i think that would solve the corrupted system.

Thanks for your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of shape is the cd in? Is it dirty of scratched?

babytarantula

babytarantula

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i also thought it was the cd so i cloned it and still it doesn't work...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have access to another cd of the same version of windows?

babytarantula

babytarantula

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no i don't. But i cloned it and the cloning went very well. You really think it got something to do with the actual cd? I think it got to do with the corrupted system...

Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Was the disk you cloned the Toshiba Recovery cd?

I'd like to use Recovery Console, but it doesn't sound like you are given the option for this with your cd.

babytarantula

babytarantula

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No i'm using the windows xp cd but it doesn't work. Maybe a lighter version that repairs the system files?? is there any downladable boot cd like that? I saw something called ultimate boot cd but it doen't include nothing that can repair windows

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't suppose you have floppy drives on bothe machines?

babytarantula

babytarantula

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no but i can surely go get a usb floppy drive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't think Toshiba supports booting to a USB device. You can look in the BIOS Setup to find out, though. See if it's listed as an option in boot priority. While you are there, make sure the cd-rom is set as first boot device.