Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get Netgear WG111 Adaptor Installed

• Please log in to reply

RichardB1

RichardB1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
HI, I'm having trouble installing a Netgear WG111v2 wireless network adaptor onto a laptop running Windows 98. I've installed the software that came with it, but once installed the wizard program doesn't actually startup. I can see it in task manager (as wg111v2) but no window or anything appears as I'd expect. According to the instructions the wizard should prompt me to insert the adaptor and it'll get it working from there, but when I stick the doo-dah in nothing happens at all.

Don't suppose anyone has any ideas what it could be? The adaptor definitely works as my XP laptop picks it up ok. I've closed all the programs on the laptop that I can but it still doesn't run. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the software too, but no luck.

Edited by RichardB1, 15 January 2007 - 01:53 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This adaptor requires Windows 98 Second Edition. You may have First Edition.

To find out, right-click on My Computer and go to Properties. Post back what it says on the screen that comes up.

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ah, looks like you've hit the nail on the head. It shows up under the 'System' section as Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998. No mention of second edition at all...is it possible to upgrade?

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
...or alternatively I could put Windows 2000 Pro on it as I at least have the disks for that. Think it'll run ok though on this antique (a Toshiba Tecra 8000)?! Its a PII with 256mb RAM. 98 has been a bit unstable before which I put down to memory but maybe its more of a Windows thing.....

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Win2k will probably kill it.

There is no official upgrade route from Win98 First Edition to Second Edition, the upgrade edition of Win98SE would only do it from Windows 95 and maybe 3.1.

You may be able to source an ME Upgrade from somewhere. ME isn't the best version of Windows going but it'll let you get that adaptor working.