Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Keeps Cutting Out!

• Please log in to reply

GFix

GFix

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey there I posted a while back about a problem I had with my wireless internet cutting out from full speed, good signal strength and then cutting out for a second or two before re-connected. I beileved that the problem sorted itself out as it stopped doing it for a month or so, this however was not the case. The router was turned off by mistake and after that the problems returned.

I tried changing the position of the aerial but this only the made the problem worse.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gfix.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Please unplug power to both the modem and router and leave them off for at least 30 seconds. Next, restore power only to your modem, and let it sit there for about 20 or so seconds. Next, plug the router back in and wait about 20 seconds. See if you get a connection now.

GFix

GFix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi I did what you said, this has not solved the problem.
Any others suggestions?
Thanks
Gfix

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Have you called your ISP to see if they are having any problems on their side?

GFix

GFix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Everything is fine down the ISP's end.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Gfix

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi there,

I browse the site frequently and had this situation before. From what I understand is that Windows XP uses what is called the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service to constantly look for a better wireless network. The problem is it searches and then disconnects you from your network only to reconnect you.

Try this. Go to start>my computer. Right click and select manage. Double click on services and applications, double click services. Find Wireless Zero Configuration near the bottom and double click. Stop the service and set start up type to disabled. Hit apply and hopefully this will help you.

Dunleavy

mark717

mark717

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am experiencing the same thing. Network fine for a while then the connection is lost. Usually returns on it's own but sometimes requires resync of the modem, router and PC. My Windows XP does not have a "My Computer" option directly in Start. This just started happening but I am also starting to notice other wireless networks available. How do I set it up so my PC uses only my network?

Mark