Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

all of a sudden my drivers are messed up!

• Please log in to reply

sketch

sketch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey guy's i'm new to this forum well because i'm having a little problem! i've been burning cd's forever now and today i go to burn a cd and it's saying " no disc in drive" i've done everything except take the d*** computer apart and i'm not about to do that! I've rolled back the drivers, uninstalled and installed again, the driver that used to be my dvd/cd-rw drive is now mmc/sd drive and is not in the device manager! i thought it was because some software i installed so i did a recovery (3 times) and still nothing! i'm out of solutions so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Is this an internal/external device?

Check cables - sorry, you'll need to remove your PC cover/panel if it's internal!

Look for power cable being lose or data ribbon cable at both ends - where it plugs into back of drive and on the board (Discharge any static you may have by touching the metal chassis of PC first)

Have you installed other hardware that may now be causing a conflict in Device Manager?

Think about what you had done to your computer just prior to your noticing this behaviour - should give you some idea.

Computers don't generally change their settings for no reason (though not impossible) - so you should always cast your mind back to when things went wrong. More info regarding this, would be useful for more meaningful help :tazz:

daveB - LinuxWannabee

sketch

sketch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i had an old soundcard in there soundblaster audigy and then i took it out and installed a em-u 0404 and then put the soundblaster back in there could that be a problem does that have anything to do with the drivers? thanks for the feed!

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
This may be nothing - but did you put your soundblaster card back in the same pci slot?

Shouldn't make a difference, but I've seen problems resolved simply putting things back in their previous pci slots.

Is there an IRQ (Interrupt Request) within Device Manager?

Another thought - what's the power rating of your power supply - sometimes filling all the pci slots with a modest power supply can cause problems.

Sorry to be vague - but it's hard to troubleshoot remotely :tazz:

Good luck

daveB - LinuxWannabee

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
for future reference, the cd-rom does not use an irq (though the ide controller does--but if one drive on the controller works, it is not the issue)

A failed CD-rom drive is not uncommon...oprobably the most breakable part in the computer.

I don't understand this:
the driver that used to be my dvd/cd-rw drive is now mmc/sd drive and is not in the device manager!

Put a known good cd-dvd in the drive. It could be you bought a bad batch

sketch

sketch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i meant my dvd/cdrw drive isnt there anymore and now there is a drive that say's mmc/sd but still has a cd over it! i already have a mmc/sd drive below it so now i have two but the one that replaced my dvd drive does not show up in device manager! i'm lost all i want to do is make a cd! thanks for the input guy's!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so it has a memory card icon where the cd used to be? Neat.

Go into device manager, select each of your CD/DVD devices, remove them (uninstall) reboot

Windows will redetect them on restart.

sketch

sketch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i've done that but before i did the drive that took the place of my dvd/cdrw drive does not show up in the device manager that's what makes it tricky! i can't get rid of it because it does not show up!