Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Super Urgent, boot problem

• Please log in to reply

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I am having a huge problem with my home computer, it says, "Reboot and select proper boot device or instert boot media in selected boot device", this happend when i was givin the computer a non destructive reformate, please i dont want to lose my files. When it was copying files it started to give me a lot of errors, and i had to turn off the computer so i started again without the cd and it said that. So i did the non destructive reformate and it finished it, when i restarted the computer it says the same thing... please help me, PLEASE!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi BSNCAPBYY...

Check the boot priority in BIOS Setup and make sure the cd-rom is first boot device and the HDD is second. Is this what you find?

wannabe1

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I checked the priority and it says in this order:
SM-HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR
Genereic USB SD Reader
PM-ST380011A

Please help me, thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your card reader installed in a usb port? If it is, remove it and see if it will boot. If it's not, you'll need to move the HDD (PM-ST380011A) into the second position.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
It is not a usb so i put the hd in the second position and it says the same thing... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of computer is this? Are you offered the option of Recovery Console with the cd you have?

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Its a e machine restore dvd, i have done non distructive restores before in where every file i have it is saved on a file called my back up, but this time it just started to give me errors, saying it could not extract certine files and it just stoped working so i turned the computer off, i did it agian and it worked but know it got this problem with the boot. What could it be?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not sure yet, but it sounds like a bad MBR. This can be rebuilt using Recovery Console which is available on XP installation cd's.

Do you have floppy drives on both machines?

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
None of my machine accept floppys i can burn cds or i have a flash drive thats it, i have to leave i will be back at 10 or so if your not going to be here at that time please tell me what time you think you are going to be

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I should be here.

Can you get your hands on a regular XP installation cd?

Advertisements

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
really doubtfull, the only thing i got is a emachines restore dvd verstion 1.1 for a T2958, PLEASE what can i do

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download RC.ISO and save it to your HDD. You'll need to burn this to cd as an ISO image...do you know how to do that?

Once created, this will be a bootable cd that contains Recovery Console...we can use that to try to get your machine running.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Im not sure how to burn in iso

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Dont worry i found it already ill do what you said

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have any burning software like Nero or Easy CD Creator?

There is information HERE on burning an ISO image along with some free burning applications.