Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with wireless

• Please log in to reply

dieguitoholanda

dieguitoholanda

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:whistling: I`ve got a compaq presario 2500 now running on wired internet........wanna buy wireless router so I can sit in the WC wit my computer......question...how do I find out if my computer has wireless hardware needed to run internet with out problems ???

once more thanks for sharing knowlegde with this animal !!! :blink:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You don't need any wireless hardware built-in to the laptop to be able to use it wirelessly. Some laptops (usually top of the range) have a wireless receiver built in but all that means is it saves you having to buy an external one which you might forget to put in your laptop bag when you travel.

As long as your laptop has a Cardbus slot (or PC card slot) or a USB port, you can buy either a wireless PC Card OR a wireless USB adaptor at the same time you buy the wireless router. They don't have to be from the same manufacturer, but just make sure they both conform to the same wireless standard (802.11g is the current standard, often referred to simply as "wireless G").

Edited by pip22, 16 January 2007 - 12:55 PM.