Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Voip troubles

• Please log in to reply

violetlover

violetlover

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, a friend of mine and I are having some recent troubles with all voice programs. We have used free voice applications for several years to talk and had no issues. Recently (within the past 2-3 months) we have been having a lot of trouble with disconnects and with her not being able to hear me, although I can hear her fine. I believe the trouble corresponds to her purchase of a new laptop and new router although we can't really remember when the trouble started specifically. Here are the details:

-After several minutes (anywhere from 5 to 20, depending on the time of day) something happens so that I can hear her but she cannot hear me any longer. When we call back, things are fine until it happens again.

-This happens with any of the free voice programs we've tried, Yahoo, Skype, AIM.

-We've checked the ping to these websites and supposedly our router numbers are set correctly.

-We've tried enabling port triggering and applying it to ports suggested from other help sites and from the application sites themselves.

-I believe she is using a Linksys router and mine is a new D-Link (although we were having the same trouble with my old Linksys).

-We are both running Windows XP home addition

From what we can tell our settings are correct, but to be honest we don't have much knowledge in this area at all and it's obvious there is a setting wrong somewhere. I am only average when it comes to computer knowledge so please keep that in mind when giving suggestions (although I follow directions well!) :whistling: Any help would be greatly appreciated because this problem is becoming very frustrating!

Advertisements