Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Fault

• Please log in to reply

Fat man

Fat man

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Can any one help?

I have XP home with Sound unit Realtek AC97 Audio

I have a tick in the Volume control, Recording, Line in which I cannot remove.

What I want to do is to connect a cassette player into the line in plug and hear it through the PCs speakers. If I open audacity it says it can record the sound I am playing but I can 't hear it.

There is no tick in any other select box

The speakers do work if I play a sound file on the hard drive.

Any ideas

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
My sound device is not the same (mine's a creative live soundcard) but the Windows sound software controls in Control Panel should be similar. This is how it works for me:

1. The 'tick' you refer to only becomes 'unticked' if you select a different recording input (eg microphone). The tick means you have selected that device (in your case Line-in) as your recording input. So that tick needs to be there otherwise line-in recording will not work.

2. When I record through line-in, the recording process cannot be monitored in real-time through the PC speakers. It can only be heard through the speakers of the source device, unless your recording application has an option to 'monitor' what is being recorded. You'll need to check your recording application to see if it has that option.

Fat man

Fat man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for that Pip22

What I wanted to do is to hear the sound from the cassette through the Extension Speakers not the ones inside the PC. I was not trying to record.

Edited by Fat man, 16 January 2007 - 11:10 AM.