Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Retrieving Group Names in the My Computer window

• Please log in to reply

Senko

Senko

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a rather small problem at hands, well, last night it was rather big, but now it's just a minor annoyance...

Yesterday I suffered from a certain Trojan that would change and lock my background image, disable task manager and overall just screw everything around.

I had used SUPERAntiSpyware at that time to attempt to remove it, but without success, so I went onto Panda Antivirus 2007 Beta, which succesfully removed everything, and I have double checked it.

But a few problems did remain such as those described above, the locked background image, ( which thanx to this forum, I was able to fix with a simple registry file ), and the locked task manager, which I manually fixed via regedit...

but, the problem that remains, and I did say, wasn't very big, is this :::

Posted Image

When I enabled "Show in Groups" via right click and arrange icons by, it doesn't come up the way it should, example "Removable Whatever, Hard discs, Documents" etc etc... It just comes up with unspecified...

Now I only want a fix because I'm a bit of a person who doesn't like many changes on his wonderful laptop, I've always had the group names correct uptil yesterdays Trojan downloader attack...

Anyone got a quick fix or a workaround for this please =) ?

Thanks in advance,
Teh Senko

Advertisements

Senko

Senko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Am aware that ye could be quite busy, but before this gets lost, le bump !

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi. I've started looking for some kind of answer to this problem, and I'm not finding anything.

However, there are a couple of things we could do.

1. Log into Windows using a different User Account. If you don't another one, you can add one easily. Click Start, Control Panel, User Accounts. Be sure to put the new user in the Administrator security group. Log into Windows, open My Computer, and see if the behavior followed.

If not, then we can copy all the settings and documents from the old user account to the new one. See Microsoft article 555473 for detailed instructions.

2. You could try SFC (System File Checker)
It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Please post the results, good or bad.

Senko

Senko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the reply LindaGail,

The 1st solution worked, eventually, I had gotten some errors along the line of "soandso file, in documents / local setts / temp internet files / IExplorer 5.0 -blabla.bla file extention is too long", can't quite remember how I fixed that... But in any case, I pondered around with the menu for a bit longer and noticed that if I click "Arrange by Type" rather than "Arrange by Comment" when I had "Show in Groups" enabled, that it would display correctly as it always does...

So my apologies for my superb stupidity, I can't believe I managed to miss that option =o...

Here's an updated view of ... whatever -_-

Posted Image

PROBLEM SOLVED, thank you for your time and kindly close the topic. If we're unlucky, future generations might suffer my stupidity, and if they do, they'll have this forum as a backbone ! no offense to anyone ofcourse =)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
There are no stupid questions! :whistling: Thanks for letting us know what was what.