Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Player 11 - Library wont load music from PC

• Please log in to reply

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have Media Player 11. Had it for several months. I had about 400 cds loaded onto my compueter from the original cds. All of the cds were loaded and displayed perfectly in media player 11's library.

The problem happened yesterday. My computer crashed and restarted. I went into the media player to play a cd. When I brought up the player it said "There are no items in library yet". Its totally empty. I went to my music folder and I can see all of the music folders are still there. I clicked on a file and could still play a cd with the media player. The cds are not showing up in the media player library.

I tried to add the folders to my library but it doesn't do anything. I also dragged and dropped a folder and still nothing. Its not reading the My Music folder. What should I do?
I also have all of my music backed up to an external HD.

thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I found this possible fix here:

If you find and rename the file:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb, that should reset your Media Library. If after this point you go back into Media Player, is the library then able to add files and be functional?

Please post the results.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
You said find and rename the file. What file am I going to re-name and how do I rename it?

Sorry but I am not to good with computer stuff.

please let me know as I want to try this.

thanks

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To find the file, right click the Start button, choose Explore. The folder list will appear and the cursor will be on the Start Menu folder for your User Profile. You should see the Local Settings folder above it about 7 folders up. Click the + to expand the folder to show the folders under it. Keep clicking the + until you get down to Media Player. Then highlight the Media Player folder. This will show the files in that folder on the right side of the screen. Find the file called CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb. Right click over the file, choose Rename. You can add "OLD" just before the .wmdb, so that the new name is CurrentDatabase_346OLD.wmdb.

If you don't see the Local Settings folder, we'll need to make a change. Open My Computer, click the Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab. Scroll down to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and check the box. Click Ok to close that screen, then go back to Explore.

That should do it. Please post the results.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I explored the local and found media player. I cant find the file 346 you mentioned. I included a screenshot of the results. what should i do next.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I tried to add the screenshot I guess it did not work.

I found files that looked similar but had the number "currentdatabase360"

also

corruptdatabase219

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
That file you found is the same, you just don't see the extension (.wmdb). I think we should turn that option on, to be sure when you change the name, all goes well. Go back to My Computer, Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab. Scroll down to "Hide known file extensions" and uncheck it. Click Ok to exit.

Then go back to Explorer, find the file and you should see the complete name including '.wmdb' at the end.

Just FYI - you can't attach a .jpg file type. You should change it to .bmp.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
LindaGail you are my HERO!!!

It worked perfectly. Thanks for being patient and walking me thru the step by step process of getting me to find the file.

Thanks from El Paso Texas.

take care

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Ahh, a fellow Texan! Glad to help! :whistling: