Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

02rja

02rja

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hello, i am hoping to upgrade my Radeon 9550EX excaliber (lots more long words) graphics card to a GeForce 7900 or similar, but i read that these require a PCI express interface.

how do i determine whether i have one of these?

My mobo is a Nvidea N Force2. I cant remember how to find my full system specs as well...

Thanks anyonw who replies :whistling:

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Download everest home edition from the link provided, and run the program once downloaded.
Everest is a harmless, and very useful program that tells you everything about your pc,,, cpu, chipset, memory, drives, temps. fans, and of course, how many pci-e slots you have !!!

Hope this is of some help to you, good luck,

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi 02rja!

You have an AGP port on your motherboard, which means you don't have a PCI-e slot on it. You would need to upgrade your motherboard to get a motherboard that has a PCI-e x16 slot. The x16 is very important, because the PCI-e x1 slots will not work.

Fenor

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
The higest graphics upgrade for AGP is a Geforve 7800GS but I would upgrade the motherboard as AGP is dieing a death now that PCI-E has come in. If your processor isnt that great then the graphics card will be held back from its capability.

With the arival of DirectX 10 there are going to be totally new ranges of graphics card. The first DirectX 10 graphics card is the Geforce 8800 the ATI version is the R600 core which hasnt been released yet. I would wait for this but its only really for Vista as it is based around DX10.