Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Files Suddenly Darker

• Please log in to reply

gabebillings

gabebillings

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
This might have been easier to figure out if I'd just done something I could identify as the root of the problem. However, I just wiped my hard drives and reinstalled my OS. I've got all my programs reinstalled and everything is more or less back to the way it was. I didn't have this problem before, and now I do.

When I try to open some video files, they appear significantly darker than they should be. So far I've noticed it with .rm, .avi and .wmv. My .mp4 and .mov files seem to work fine. I don't know exactly how they're created, but the thumbnail images that appear in Windows Explorer for each file look fine, but when I play the file itself, it's darker than normal.

Another odd thing... I just bought Ulead Video Studio 10 and I was using it to turn a Dora the Explorer DVD into iPod compatible mp4 clips. While I was playing the videos in the editing window they were dark, but if I paused one, suddenly it was back to the correct brightness. I just tried this with some other .wmv files with similar results. Still frame images, bright; video playing, dark. That sounds like it should be a clue.

So that's what I've got. Since Ulead was the only totally new program I was running I uninstalled it just for kicks. Didn't do anything.

Other types of online video (youtube, Google video) work correctly.

I'm sure there's a good reason for this, I'm just not smart enough to figure it out myself. Also, please don't suggest I just crank up the brightness on my monitor and wear sunglasses unless I'm watching videos. I already tried that.

Thanks.

Advertisements

lipebrz

lipebrz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know if this is the kind of help that you're looking for, but you can always turn the brightness on the player, and for DivX, you can turn the brightness up on the "Decoder Configuration Utility"

Sorry if that's not what you're looking for .. :]