Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STRESSED!

• Please log in to reply

diesel508diesel

diesel508diesel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
Could some1 please explain what to do with my new dvdrw,i havnt got a clue how to durn dvds or convert them to dvd from avi if thts wat u have to do and if you do how long it should take i have tried and seem to be getting nowhere. PLEASE EXPLAIN! PS is there any good software for doing these tasks?

Advertisements

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi there,

First of all... Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Now to your problem... There is lots of free software you can get out there for copying DVD's. My personal favourite is one called 'Nero', although this is not free software.

The website for Nero can be found HERE

There are many free ones out there, heres a list of some free ones avaliable. Click Me!

Hopefully you find what you are looking for, to be able to copy DVD's in there. If not, post back and i'll see what I can do for you :whistling:

Hope that helps!

Edited by bobbobagan, 17 January 2007 - 12:16 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Converting AVIs to DVD takes a lot of time. First you need to convert the AVIs into DVD compatible mpegs. You do this by using programs which are unfortunately NOT FREE. Once you get the mpegs, you need to author your DVD... again, most authoring programs are not free.

The best conversion program, (AVI to mpegs), I've used is TMPGENC. It's about the cheapest out there, but it's basically user friendly and relatively fast, however you need to "practice with it" to learn how to set it up properly. For authoring, I use Tsunami mpeg pro... made by the same people, by the way. It's very user friendly and intuitive, however it's stringent on mpeg DVD compliance.

In reality, the Geeks forum is not the right place to learn this. You should be visiting/joining the forums at Doom9 , DigitalFAQ , and AfterDawn . These are the best places for information about DVD conversions. You also need to learn about VirtualDub, Gspot, Subtitle Workshop, and Vobsub. I won't give you the links here, but you can Google them.

Just to let you know, DVD conversions can take anywhere from 20 hours (if you know what you're doing), to 40 hours (if you're learning), for multi-chaptered, large file movies. Most of the stuff I work with are AVIs that total in the 4gb range. Be prepared to spend a good amount of time.

makai

Edited by makai, 17 January 2007 - 11:48 AM.